Among older Americans, fall-related injuries are the leading cause of death!
Fear of falling, to some degree, has been reported to occur in 12% to 65% of older adults who live independently in the community and do not have a history of falling. Among Americans aged 65 and older, fall-related injuries are the leading cause of death due to unintentional injuries, highlighting the importance of fall prevention as part of a safety program. One of three adults age 65 and older falls each year, and falls are the leading cause of injury, trauma related hospital admissions and death due to injury.
Many older adults and their families do not understand the factors that put them at risk for a fall and are unaware of how to reduce this risk. It has shown that individualized multi-dimensional exercise programs yield significant improvements in balance measure, mobility measures, and decreased fall risk. An effective fall prevention program has been shown to reduce fall risks through a combination of exercise and risk education.
This program includes a comprehensive assessment to help identify:
- Existing medical conditions that may contribute to an increased risk of falling
- Fall hazards and risks related to the home environment and activities
- The need for, and correct utilization of assistive devices
- A specific exercise program to improve strength, mobility and balance
Who can benefits from this program?
- Seniors age 65 and over
- Individuals concerned with falling
- Those that have experienced falls in the past
- Those who are physically inactive
- Those with muscle weakness and limited mobility
- Those who have difficulty walking, getting up from a chair or remaining steady on their feet
- Those who complain of dizziness or lightheadedness
- Individuals with problems with the senses, such as vision or numbness in their feet
What are the benefits of participating in this program?
- Better understanding of how to reduce the risks of falls in the home
- Develop better strength and improve balance
- Avoid injury and hospitalization
Orthopedic Rehabilitation Services We Offer:
[ Back to Services ]