Post-Operative patients are prioritized for their initial evaluation appointment, with a guarantee that we can get them into PT within two business days of the surgeon’s desired rehab start date.
The Port-Operative specialists are a group of physical therapists who meet on a regular basis to discuss the latest in post-operative care. Discussion topics include: the latest in post-op protocols and surgeries being performed by our local Orthopedic Surgeons, post-op rehab protocols and progression with PT, communication with our surgeons to ensure that the entire care team is working together. If a surgeon specifically wants a patient seen by our post-op specialist team, they just need to indicate it on the PT referral. Surgical patients can also easily be treated by any of the skilled PTs on our rehab team.
List of most common surgeries:
- Total joint replacements (Knee, hip, shoulder, ankle)
- Knee surgeries (ACL and other ligamentous reconstruction, meniscectomy and meniscal repairs, MPFL, quadricep, and patellar tendon)
- Hip surgeries (Labral repair)
- Shoulder surgeries (Rotator cuff repair, labral repair, capsular reconstruction)
- Ankle/foot surgeries (Achilles tendon and other tendon repairs, ankle fusion, bunionectomy)
- Spinal surgeries (Fusion, laminectomy, discectomy)
- Fracture repair surgeries
- Arthroscopic surgeries (Impingement, decompression, debridements)
Why are pre-operative appointments important?
One or two pre-op appointments are recommended to teach patients:
- How to prepare for surgery
- What to expect directly after surgery
- What they should and shouldn’t be doing between surgery and their first PT appointments
Why is post-operative PT important?
- To educate patients on what is SAFE to do and what activities should be avoided to protect the surgical outcomes.
- To assist patients in regaining normal function through hands-on therapy, specific stretches and joint mobilizations and progressive strengthening.
- To improve efficiency of movement and proper control of muscles that have been affected by surgical procedures.
At Kitsap Physical Therapy, we have therapists who are trained in evidence-based protocols for post-operative physial therapy, offering location preference and convenience for patients.