Osteoporosis is a musculoskeletal disorder which causes compromised bone strength. Osteoporosis affects both the shape and amount of bone, resulting in bones that tend to be weaker and easily fractured. Osteoporosis affects all populations, including women and men of all ages, though it is more common in women.
Learn how to safely move in life and during exercise.
Through education, rehabilitation, exercise, and emotional support, we strive to empower our patients diagnosed with osteoporosis to maintain and improve their quality of life. Screening, education, and treatment on special topics such as emotional well-being and fall risk may be included. The emphasis of our treatment is on using movement as medicine for the prevention of fracture. We also provide treatment post-fracture and help develop a safe and effective gym program specialized for each individual.
What is the Meek’s Method for Osteoporosis?
It is an original, well-rounded and effective Physical Therapy approach to support strength and body position that is safe for people with low bone mass and changing bones.
What are the symptoms of Osteoporosis?
Symptoms of osteoporosis include:
- Loss of height over time
- Back pain
- Stooped posture
- Bone that breaks more easily than expected
What is the goal of therapy
The goal of therapy is to decrease the risk of the FIRST fracture or NEXT fracture.
- Isolate: Determine areas of stiffness and weakness
- Activate: Decrease stiffness and strengthen weakness
- Integrate: Use in everyday life
Is this program for me?
- Have you been told you have osteopenia or osteoporosis?
- Do you need to use your hands to get out of a chair or have difficulty getting up off of the floor?
- Have you fallen or lost your balance within the last 3 months?
- Have you had a recent fracture?
- Are you nervous to continue with activities of daily living or your normal exercise program for fear of injury?
If you have answered yes to TWO or MORE of these questions, this program is right for you. Ask your provider for a referral today!
At Kitsap Physical Therapy, we have therapists who are trained in evidence-based protocols for the treatment of Osteoporosis in multiple locations, allowing you to pick the clinic location that is easiest for you.